Getting started on Waylivra
Start Waylivra in conjunction with a strict low-fat diet in patients with genetically confirmed FCS for whom response to diet and triglyceride lowering therapy has been inadequate1
Waylivra is a once-weekly, self-administered injection delivered in a single-use prefilled syringe1
Dosing frequency should be adjusted based on your patients’ response to treatment1
It is important to maintain the FCS-specific low-fat diet together with Waylivra, for effective TG control1
Platelet monitoring is necessary during treatment with Waylivra1
- In the APPROACH trial, confirmed reductions in platelet counts to below normal (140 × 109/L) were observed in 75% of patients treated with Waylivra and 24% of those on placebo1
- Prior to initiation of Waylivra, patients should have a platelet count ≥140 × 109/L1
- During treatment, platelet levels should be monitored at least every 2 weeks and dosing and frequency of montioring modified accordingly1
Diet is an integral part of the management of FCS2
It is critical for your patients to understand that Waylivra must be used in conjunction with a severely restricted low-fat diet, including avoidance of alcohol1
*Inadequate response defined as a reduction in serum triglycerides <25% or failure to achieve serum triglycerides <22.6 mmol/L after 3 months on Waylivra 285 mg weekly.1
**Provided platelet counts are normal
a Discontinuation of antiplatelet medicinal products/NSAIDs/anticoagulants should be considered for platelet levels <75 × 109/L. Treatment with these medicinal products must be discontinued at platelet levels <50 × 109/L.1
b Consultation of a haematologist is needed to reconsider the benefit/risk for possible further treatment with Waylivra in a patient who has discontinued due to severe thrombocyotpenia (<50 x 109/L).1
- Waylivra® SmPC
- Williams L, et al. J Clin Lipidol. 2018;12(4):908–919.
Empowering independence for your Waylivra patients
- Is an individual treatment support program that lets your Waylivra patients create their own support strategy, based on their individual needs.
- Offers your patients the possibility to maintain their independence with nurse support and injection training wherever it suits your patient.
- Provides confidence with regular safety monitoring.